Monday, April 09, 2012

Broccoli Salad

I always find the need to follow a “deep” post with something more fun and uplifting. What could be more fun and uplifting than good food?!? Besides, it has been too long since my last recipe post.

This is one of my favorite salads, I don’t make it often though because broccoli can be a little pricey. I knew I had to have it for our turkey dinner this weekend though, and since broccoli was on sale it made it onto the table and into my belly! Yum! Hubby is the only one who won’t eat this, he said he might try it one day but one thing at a time since he agreed to try the cauliflower “faux” mashed potatoes that was enough for now LOL. Thank goodness my kids are not picky like my husband!

This amount makes a big bowl of the salad, great if you have company or are taking it to a pot luck, or if like my kids and I you just love it so much a small bowl of it is not enough. This is how I make it, but there are SO many variations that you can just use a recipe as a guideline and make it your own. Some people use regular white vinegar, I MUCH prefer the flavor red wine vinegar gives it. Some people add other nuts or raisins. Some use cubed cheese instead of shredded, or leave the cheese out. There are just so many ways of making it, this is how I like to make it.

P2230142

Broccoli Salad

4 Broccoli Crowns(or equivalent of florets in a bag)

1/2 small Purple Onion, cut into thin slices(you can use any, I like purple)

4 to 6 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled in bite size pieces

1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded cheese(make it how cheesy you want)

1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds

1 cup Mayonnaise(I use Miracle Whip)

3 tablespoons Splenda

2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar

Cut florets off the broccoli crowns, wash and dump into a large bowl. Add onion, bacon, cheese and sunflower seeds. Mix well.

In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, Splenda and red wine vinegar. Add to the bowl with the broccoli mixture and either stir or put a lid on the bowl and shake well until the broccoli is evenly coated in mayonnaise mixture.

Enjoy!

Jolene

3 comments:

  1. I made a broccoli salad similar to this last summer, but with oil instead of mayonnaise (it creeps me out,too goopy! lol). I'm sure it's good if you like mayo though. :)

    Principessa Gabriella

    ReplyDelete
  2. *gasp* Not like Mayo?!? Is there such a thing? LOL! Do you not use creamy salad dressings either then? Most of them are about the same consistency as Miracle Whip, actual Mayo is much thicker and goopier....which is why I prefer Miracle Whip, it's lighter and thinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Best!! Costco has one that I die for.
    xoxox-
    sabrina
    www.samplesize16.com

    ReplyDelete