Thursday, May 26, 2011

OMG Torrid, seriously?

Well, I might as well just jump right on into things and hopefully will gain some readers along the way Smile…….it’s hard starting all over with a blog and trying to gain readers LOL.

Anyway, why “WTF Torrid”? Well, if you don’t know Torrid is a plus size store, I believe they have actual stores in the US, but they also have a website to order off of. Anyone in Canada who is plus sized knows how hard it is to find nice clothes up here, so I have started searching online to find nice stuff. Torrid is one of the sites I have checked out after finding out about it on some Plus Sized Fashion blogs. So, my problem? Not their clothes, they have a lot that I don’t care for, but have seen a few things I really like. Not their prices for the most part, yes they’re pricey, the cheapskate I am would never pay full price anyway and right now they have all their clearance stuff marked down further. The problem is shipping!

For an example, here is a top I really like:

image

Adorable, isn’t it?  Something I think my hubby would really like on me too. The regular price is $38, now yes I’m a cheapskate and don’t like to spend more than I have to on anything, but we are also a family of 4 living off just my husbands income, which while it’s better than it ever has been is still just enough to pay rent/bills/food leaving very little for other things, so I’m also a cheapskate out of necessity. So, this top is currently marked down to $9.98….of course these are US dollars so right now with the Cdn dollar higher it would end up ever so slightly cheaper.

So, I add this lovely top to my cart(and there are many more adorable ones too that I would love to order, for the same price), I go to the next step to check what they will charge for shipping. I have just placed an order for one online store which offers free shipping to Canada, I’ve seen others that have a flat rate in and around $10 or so….so, what does Torrid want to charge me for shipping for this one simple little top? Torrid wants to charge me $30 to ship this little piece of fabric that only costs $9.98! Yes, OMG Torrid, seriously!?!?

I have lived in the US before, yes it has been about 5  years since we came back home, and yes I’m sure shipping has gone up in that time just like it does in Canada every year. But something this small when I lived in the US would have cost me around $5 to send to Canada….really, if that, I sent a very large envelope up to here to my family that had books and frames in it and it barely cost me more than $5. So surely the cost of shipping has not increased that much in 5 years to justify $30 for something so small.

I LOVE websites that offer free shipping, love the ones that at least try to offer a flat but reasonable shipping rate, it shows that they want our business, that they want to attract us to their websites, and attract me it does! Even if their prices are high, if the shipping is good I will at least bookmark that site and keep checking for something I can afford. But any website who would gouge so badly for shipping obviously has no interest in attracting shoppers, especially Canadian shoppers, to their site.

So, sadly for this reason, I will not be able to  include  Torrid on my recommended shopping list for Canadians. And btw, I tried adding more items to my cart to see what it would do….just adding one more item, a top that was on sale for $7.48, the shipping price jumped to $33.50…umm, yeah.

 

Jolene

 

No comments:

Post a Comment