Sunday, May 13, 2012

Recipe: Low Carb Pizza

First of all, Happy Mother’s Day to all the other Moms out there! I hope you all had a great day! My hubby and boys remembered this year, so it was better than last years for me LOL.

I made some pizza for dinner tonight and it was good! I’ve tried a couple of low carb pizza crust recipes and while they both tasted good I was still waiting to find that “wow” kind of pizza crust that I know will become a regular meal for us. I think this is the one!

Remember the low carb buns I made and posted thanks to Ginny at Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen? Well, the recipe makes a damn good pizza crust too! And unlike the other low carb crusts I’ve tried so far, this one you can actually pick up and eat with your hands if you want to!

So now for the good part of this post….the Pizza!!

P5130160

Low Carb Pizza Crust

(these are the exact ingredients as for the bun recipe)

1/4 cup Butter

6 Large Eggs

1/3 cup Water

3 tbsp Parmesan

1/2 cup Almond Flour

1/3 cup Flax Meal

1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder

1/2 tsp Salt

1 1/2 tsp Splenda

Melt butter in a large bowl. Add all other ingredients and whisk together really well. Take a baking sheet(one with sides) and line it with a sheet of parchment paper. Give it a bit of a spray with cooking spray, especially on any spots that are not covered by parchment just to make sure it doesn’t stick. Pour the batter onto the parchment and shake it around a bit until it’s spread evenly on the pan.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, then turn up to 400 and bake another 10 minutes or until the crust is sort of crisped up and toasted a bit.

Make the pizza as you wish, I will share how I make ours…..

P5130161

Pizza(no exact amounts here, pizza’s all about tossing on what you like!)

Pizza Crust

Pizza Sauce(here’s my Pizza Sauce Recipe in this old post, it’s the best sauce I’ve ever tasted! Just leave out the sugar(I do) or substitute with Splenda)

Grated cheese(we like marble)

Assorted pizza meats(I buy a pack at Walmart for like $3, it’s enough for 2 pizzas)

Cooked and Crumbled bacon

Sliced onions

Sliced tomatoes

Spread pizza sauce on the crust, sprinkle a bit of cheese on top, add meats and veggies and top with more cheese. Bake at 400 for 10 to 12 minutes.

Cut up and enjoy! One pizza was enough for 2 pieces for each of us and they are very filling pieces.

P5130162

I know some people who are looking for low carb recipes want to know how many carbs there are . I don’t list the nutritional information for my recipes, or even figure it out because I don’t feel I’m qualified to do so. The information for most recipes is going to vary anyway depending on brands etc, so even if I did figure it out what it is for me and what I used may not be what it is for what you use. Another reason I don’t is because we don’t eat low carb for “dieting”, we eat low carb as a healthy lifestyle so the actual amounts of carb is not important to us. We don’t actually count carbs, we just avoid sugar and grains and high carb foods as much as possible. If the carb count is important to you I recommend even for recipes that do list the carb count to still figure it out on your own based on what you use to make sure it’s accurate.

 

Happy Mother’s Day!!

Jolene

6 comments:

  1. Thank you! It all looks great, will be trying this one, but can you loose the Splenda/poison and I hope you learn about how horrible this is.. Stevia is a no calorie natural sweetener that can be safely used <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Candace, my family sure did, even reheated it was still good(of course better fresh though). Please use whatever sweetener you would like, I will continue to use what works for us thank you :). And yes, I've done my homework. That's the wonderful thing about recipes, most are easy to adjust and when it comes to sweeteners everyone has their own preference and own beliefs when it comes to different sweeteners and it can be easily substituted.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The pan I used is 15x10, I believe some call them a "jelly roll" pan. It should come out fine in any size pan, you just may not need to "toast" it as long if it's a larger pan because the crust will be thinner and more if the pan is smaller because the crust will be thicker, but I'm sure it will still turn out. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Jolene, I am soooo looking forward to trying this out. I do have a question for you, however :)

    I currently don't have any almond flour but I do have coconut flour--do you think the recipe would work with a substitution? Or should I not risk it?

    Just curious--thanks again!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn,

      I'm still fairly new to using coconut and almond flour, so I don't know a ton about them yet. I do know though from reading low carb blogs who have more expertise in using them that you cannot simply substitute almond flour with coconut flour. Coconut flour needs more eggs to bake with apparently. I wish it was that simple too, coconut flour is cheaper LOL. The cost of Almond flour is killing me, otherwise I would be making the buns in this recipe every day for sandwiches.

      Jolene

      Delete