Thursday, October 06, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes, I know most of you are thinking huh? It’s not Thanksgiving yet. Well, it is in Canada! Actually it’s technically on Monday, we celebrate Thanksgiving in October in Canada. I am doing Thanksgiving Dinner on Saturday night though. We have my brother in law over every Saturday for dinner and Saturday also happens to be my father in laws birthday, so I thought Saturday would be the perfect time for our Thanksgiving Dinner!

Working on my shopping list tonight so tomorrow hubby can take me out to get everything and I can come home and start prepping and cooking for Saturday! All I need is to wake up feeling great, hubby managed to catch a bit of a cold from work and kindly passed it on to the boys and I. We rarely get sick, each of us has now had 2 colds in the past 2 years including this one. It was my mistake, we don’t get sick much because we take Vitamin C and D(trust me, it works, used to get colds a lot before we started taking them regularly), and if we feel something coming on we double up on it and nothing comes of it. We got a little lazy though and didn’t take our vitamins all summer and instead of starting them up again before cold weather hit we started as the cold weather hit and the bugs started going around. Fortunately we got on them right away and these colds aren’t too bad, this is only my second day feeling blah and I’m already starting to feel better.

Anyway, back to Thanksgiving! Other than the date Thanksgiving is pretty much the same up here as it is in the US. Of course there’s little differences even in different parts of the US where certain dishes are traditional but aren’t in others. My Thanksgiving menu is pretty much the same as my Christmas menu, I change up the side dishes sometimes though.

My menu for this weekend is(everything is homemade…no boxes or packaged anything….homemade is so much better and I like knowing what we’re putting into our bodies for the most part):

Turkey

Gravy

Mashed Potatoes

Stuffing

Broccoli Casserole

Watergate Salad(my youngest HAS to have this every year, and shhh, I quite like it myself!)

Corn Fritters(possibly, only if I have time)

Corn

Dinner Rolls

and for dessert my husband has requested Chocolate Éclair Dessert, I’ll probably make some sort of little cake or something too for my Father in Law if I have time.  I’m using a different recipe this time for the stuffing and rolls, and I’ve never made the broccoli casserole or corn fritters recipe before….usually I like to make things at least once for just us before I make it when others are over, so I hope they turn out good since I’m not doing that this time! I just felt like changing things up a bit and trying different recipes than my usual….hope it doesn’t backfire on me! LOL

Do you celebrate Thanksgiving? I know some people don’t bother with it. My side of the family doesn’t do it every year(and since I haven’t heard from anyone I’m guessing not this year), my family is fairly big though so it can be hard to find days when nobody works and can get together. But I do Thanksgiving with my own family every year, I love cooking for everyone and sitting around the table enjoying good food with the ones I love!

If I remember I might take some pictures of everything, but knowing me I’ll forget! Once I start cooking I get into my own little zone I guess you could say and I’m off in my own little world. It is very relaxing for me….that is until my feet, legs and back start hurting from standing on the hard tiled floor for hours!

 

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canucks!

 

Jolene

No comments:

Post a Comment