Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I’m Doing It, and My Giants!

I was up sewing until 5am! It’s not unusual for me to be up until that late, hubby usually gets off work around that time, but usually I’m just sitting on the couch with my laptop and watching TV when I wait for him. This time the night just flew by because I was sewing the whole time!
First I just did a bunch of practice stuff, then after the kids went to bed I started making the dress for  my niece. I got all of it done except I want to do a couple more rows of shirring but ran out of elastic thread, and I need to do the straps still. I’m so proud of myself because I look at what I’ve made and I can’t believe I made it!! I mean I seriously look at it and think “Wow, I did that???”. It is soooooo cute! It’s going to be hard waiting until Christmas. I hope it fits her, she’s such a tiny thing and I can’t go by normal size for her age.
Ok, so if I really get into this sewing thing I need to learn to make pants….really long pants! I decided out of curiosity to weigh and measure my boys this weekend. It has been a long time since we’ve done that. They’ve always been big for their ages, they were born above average and both were always above 90th percentile for both weight and height for their age….often over the 100th. My youngest at least does the usual slow growth then having big growth spurts…my oldest not so much. That boy has never had a slow growth period since he was born, it has always been just constant, but not a slow consistent.
At 11 years old my youngest is 5’2” and this boy who actually stalled out at 80ish pounds for the longest time is now weighing in at 103 lbs! He weighs almost what I weighed even in High School LOL! Now, my oldest, this one is the one who is really a giant! He is 13, will be 14 in January and is 5’10” and weighs 145lbs!! I tell you, it is the weirdest feeling when your child starts towering over you(and I’m not even short)….and now he is only a couple of inches away from being as tall as hubby….but he still has LOTS of years left to grow!
Do you have any idea how hard it is to find pants for a teenage boy who has a 32 inch waist but doesn’t quite have the umm, “junk” to fill in certain parts of men's pants. And then the longest length any regular store carries is 34”….of which I bought him several pairs of when Walmart had jeans on for $8 and now those 34” length jeans are too short! So, if 34” is too short at 5’10” what the heck am I supposed to do when he reaches 6’3”, which he likely will easily before he’s done growing?  Oh, and on top of that, he’s already wearing a size 13 men's shoe! Hubby wears a size 13 and often it can be hard to actually get something because most stores if they order a 13 at all only order one in each style of shoe…..but at least hubby is done growing and won’t get any bigger. What are the chances that at 13 my sons feet will actually stop growing at a size 13? I’ve never seen a men's shoe larger than that. How do I get him any bigger?
We make financial sacrifices so I can stay at home with the boys and raise them, I shop clearance racks for clothes because we can’t afford even Walmart’s regular price LOL, I’m going to have to get a full time job just to pay for this child's clothing because I’m going to have to buy from expensive specialty shops! I laugh over their size because I just can’t believe how big they are, but omg, it’s actually so scary at the same time! We told him he better learn to tolerate the cold better because he’s going to have to wear shorts all winter LOL! Let’s just hope since he has had such consistent growth his whole life that he slows down now at the age when other boys are having some of their biggest growth(hey, nothing wrong with being a little backwards LOL)…..is that too much to hope for?
Jolene

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on finishing the dress, I'm sure it's adorable! Good luck with those growing boys of yours. My younger brother is 15 and he just recently started growing taller all of a sudden; it's going to be so weird if he gets taller than me!

    Principessa Gabriella

    ReplyDelete