Sunday, February 19, 2012

Bacon Cheeseburger Salad

Good thing it’s recipe day, because do I have a simple yet yummy one to share!

A hamburger is my absolute favorite food, I could eat a hamburger every day and not get sick of it. I’m not eating bread though, ok, once every week or two hubby and I are going out for a Five Guys burger and eating the bun, but it’s like the only carb we eat the whole day and the only time we are eating out. This definitely helps keep the constant burger cravings at bay. No, I’m not one of those overweight people who would go and eat multiple burgers and fries a day, never have been. If we go out for a burger I will only eat one other small meal that day, and depending on the burger I can’t even always eat the whole thing in one sitting. I don’t know how people can eat that much, I might be overweight, but it usually doesn’t take much to fill me up.

Anyway, I love burgers so much that even that yummy Five Guys burger every couple of weeks doesn’t completely keep the burger cravings away. I found a recipe though that does and I can have as often as I want!! While searching for low carb recipes(I’m addicted to recipes, I search for them almost daily!) last week I came across one on www.food.com called Low Carb "I'm Dying For A Burger" Salad. Basically you throw all the toppings you like on your burgers into a salad and voila, there’s your “burger” without the bun. So, does it taste like a burger? You bet it does!! I made it tonight for dinner and it was absolutely fantastic! I’ve eaten a burger before and just discarded the bun, but somehow with all the ingredients mixed together like this it tastes more like a burger than doing it the patty and toppings way.

You can make this any way you want, just do it how you like your burgers. You don’t have to be doing Low Carb to enjoy this, it’s just plain yummy! Makes for a great lunch too, I sent hubby to work with some. I’m not going to include amounts for the ingredients because it’s one of those recipes that you just throw in however much you want of everything. This is how I made mine:

P2190119

 

Bacon Cheeseburger Salad

(inspired by Low Carb "I'm Dying For A Burger" Salad by Not-2-Sweet)

Ground Beef

Onions, chopped

Garlic, minced

Liquid Smoke

Bacon, cooked crisp and broken into pieces

Lettuce(I use Romaine, it’s better for you than Iceberg and has more flavor)

Tomatoes, chopped

Onions, sliced thin

Pickles, sliced

Cheese, shredded(I used marble)

Mayo

Mustard

Ketchup

Heavy Cream

Brown ground beef with diced onions and garlic, add in some liquid smoke.

Toss together bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, onion slices, pickles and cheese.

Mix together mayo, mustard and ketchup. Add enough cream to thin it out a bit so it’s more like a pourable dressing.

Toss meat, salad mix and dressing mixture together. Warm in the microwave for about 30 seconds to wilt the lettuce a bit.

Enjoy!!

 

Jolene

2 comments:

  1. We made this for dinner tonight, and it was delicious! It will definitely get added to our regular meal rotation; thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked it too Angela!! I love that it can be thrown together so easily, I often have already browned ground beef in either the fridge or freezer which would make it even easier to come home and throw together quick instead of going out for a burger.

    ReplyDelete